Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wild Horses Pryor Mountains Montana







Sorry I haven't posted for a long time. I've been swamped! We were out working on "The Dirt Ranch" in August. This is a day trip into the Pryor Mountains which are just a few miles away from our place. I have a ton of pictures to post so will add them every so often.



These horses are incredible. This was just before the round up. They were to capture about 60 wild horse to be auctioned off for adoption. Our neighbor has 2 from several years ago and was thinking of getting 2 more. Haven't heard what she did yet. They actually have all the wild horses accounted for, named and which ones they will capture specifically.



It's a rough road to get here but well worth the trip. I will post pictures of the wild road back down the mountain (we took a different way down). It was the wildest road my husband or I have ever been on. 3 hours to travel 10 miles! No kidding! Slight damage to the truck but nothing that can't be fixed!



If you click on the photo you will see a much nicer image but be sure to click the back button to get back to the main blog.

8 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Oh, these photos are just wonderful. The white marking on that gray colt's face is fabulous. I would LOVE to go see them. I'm a horse lover from way back - waaaaaayyy back.

Sunny said...

These horses are so beautiful. Such wonderful pictures.
Sunny :)

Ramblin Rose said...

Great pictures! Isn't it neat to see these horses out in the wild! Their manes and tails have never been trimmed and their bodies and feet have adapted to match their needs. We have them here, too, and it's always a special treat to see them. P

Connie said...

So serene - beautiful pics.

Connie said...

Just stopped by to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Carol said...

Of all the animals that I would love to have running wild across my property...horses. I spent most of my life working with them and love to see them wild.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Gary Keimig said...

stumbled onto your blog and just have to comment. I know your country well and have been in the Pryors a number of times. My daughter works for the hospital in Lovell and is in charge of the Emergency room. Janet Ward. They live just south of Frannie after a number of years in cowley. Clay, her husband, has a patina shop where he welds and colors bronzes[art work. I can recognize about where you are from the pixs of the Bighorns in the back ground and am guessing it is very near Cowley or east of Lovell?

TwoMedicineMan said...

Love the photos. As a member of the MT Wilderness Asso. and now helping our Pryor's Coalition, I'm touched by your connection to the land around you and will check in to see these photos you hope to post - thanks for sharing!